A RECIPE FROM HOUSEWIFE ECLECTIC
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1/2 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour + some extra
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- Combine water and yeast in a mixer and mix until the yeast dissolves.
- Add the next three ingredients and stir until well mixed. Add the salt and then two cups of flour.
- Keep stirring the dough, adding more flour until the dough becomes dry to the touch.
- Cover and let rise for about 35 minutes. You are looking for your dough to double in size.
- Pinch off some of the dough and form into bagels. Make sure you keep your bagels equal size.
- Cover and allow to rise again, this time for about 25 minutes. It should almost double again.
- Bring water to boil on your stove. Add the sugar to the water. Boil the bagels for about 25 seconds on each side. Let the water drip off and then add it to a cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with corn meal. Repeat.
- Bake bagels at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.